The Social Innovation Hub (SIHub) at George Brown College is an alternative placement for GBC students in the School of Community Services; an early stage incubator and connector for the generation of innovative ideas, projects and social enterprises.
We graduate the next wave of social entrepreneurs, social innovators and leaders focused on bringing economic and social justice to the world.
- We envision a world where social entrepreneurship and innovation contribute to economic and social justice.
- Our mission is to create a sustainable ecosystem within the School of Social and Community Services that develops graduates with the skills and confidence to become the next wave of leaders in social entrepreneurship and social innovation.
- The Hub’s mandate is to facilitate the students’ development of skills, attitudes, competencies, aptitude and confidence to succeed as social entrepreneurs and social innovators. Students will have the opportunity to access the resources and support needed to develop entrepreneurial habits of mind, while gaining the skills, competencies and confidence to develop and pursue their innovative ideas and enterprises related to social justice.
THE Social Innovation Hub FACTS:
- We began in 2014 as a pilot project that was founded by 2 faculty members in the Child & Youth Worker Program & the Social Service Worker Program – Zuby Saloojee & Natalie Wood.
- We have had 41 students placed through the SIHub since 2014 working on 40 projects and enterprises.
- We have developed direct partnerships with Skills for Change, Peel District School Board, Canadian Community Economic Development Network, Detailing Knights and Inspired Initiatives to name a few.
- We provide students with the tools and technological skills that support the good work that organizations are doing to address complex social issues within communities.
Students choose from 2 PATHWAYS where they CREATE, TEST & develop:
- SOCIAL ENTERPRISES or SOCIALLY INNOVATIVE projects that address social issues
- Supportive approaches to assist organizations that need help in developing their own social enterprises or socially innovative projects; we provide students with training in SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURIAL and BUSINESS CONCEPTS that are grounded in a SOCIAL JUSTICE approach.
Twitter: @SIH_GBC / Instagram: SIH_GBC / Facebook: Social Innovation Hub – George Brown College